Feel comfortable travelling off road by land or water. This course is designed for the first time navigator, adventure racers, or someone wishing to brush up their skills and begin to feel comfortable navigating in the outdoors.
Topics Covered Include:
- Read and interpret topographic maps
- Understand and plot 6 digit UTM co-ordinates
- Learn how to orient your map, take a bearing on land and how to transfer it to your map
- Understand navigation terminology such as: back bearing, line of sight, aiming off, catching, features/handrails, etc.
- Practice taking bearings, plotting and travel outside
- Navigation strategy and common sense tips
9-Noon PM: Assiniboine Forest Navigation training. Meet in the parking lot at Grant & Chalfont Rd.
NOTE: In case of rain cancellation - you will be notified by email either the evening before or by 7:30 AM the day of the course.
- Compass (preferably one with a sighting mirror and declination adjustment like the Silva Expedition S)
- Pen and notepad to take notes
- Shoes comfortable for hiking through the bush
- Dress for the weather
- Lunch (or purchase at your leisure during the lunch hour)
A course manual will be provided to all participants at the beginning of the course.